CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Caleb One Month

So as of Father's Day, Caleb is officially one month old! This morning we had his one month check up. The verdict: he is THRIVING! Caleb now weighs 9 lbs 14 oz, is 23.5 inches long and has a 15 inch head!! I am THRILLED! The pediatrician says his weight gain is right on track and his development is totally normal. He's now roughly 75th percentile for both weight and head circumference and he is OVER the 95th percentile for height! He's LONG! People keep saying "Oh he's so TINY!", but this proves me right - this child is HUGE. lol. Seriously we saw another little bitty in the ped's office today and she was TINY compared to Caleb.

Only down side to today's appointment was he got his second Hep B shot. He SCREAMED and turned purple when they stuck him. I almost cried... But I got him breast feeding like 30 seconds after he was stuck and he settled right down. (For those who don't know, breast feeding is like the ultimate pacifier for him).

You should also know the other reason I'm thrilled:

Caleb has been strictly breast fed for a solid week! *does a happy dance*

Mind you he was TICKED for a fair bit when he stopped getting those bottles. His favorites were the bottles of breast milk - he likes the breast milk A LOT better than formula, and the bottle is a lot easier than me so those were like the best of both worlds. I got yelled at a lot for about 2 days... I also was VERY mean and I now refuse to let him use me as a pacifier. Nobody who is really hungry eats for 5 minutes and sleeps for 10 and then wants 5 more minutes. So if he falls asleep he gets put down and he doesn't get picked up for 15 minutes or so. It was REALLY, REALLY HARD to let him scream like that, but its what my lactation consultant (aka Momma) told me to do so I did and it has worked. I almost never have to do it anymore. He tends to be VERY dedicated during his meals now and in fact all I have to do now most of the time to get him to wake up is sit him up and he wakes up REAL QUICK. :D

In other news we've started doing "Tummy Time" - ie he has a cute mat on the floor with an arch over it with toys hanging on it and he spends some time there almost every day. He stares at the toys with this deeply concerned look on his face and wiggles away. And for part of the time I put a toy that makes noise on the floor in front of him and put him on his belly so he can push up and look at it. Thus far he's managed to push up so far that he actually flipped himself over! Both times he's gotten this completely shocked look on his face when it happened. He is currently kinda like a turtle - once he's on his back he's stuck there.

He has started making more noise that is NOT crying. It's not alot but its more grunts and "ooooh" and "ahhh". I still haven't gotten a good smile that I didn't think was gas when he's awake but Adam says he grinned at him real big the other day. So I continue to wait for my happy, but thats okay.


0 comments: